Vaginal Yeast Infection Prevention
If you suffer from recurrent VYI’s there are a few changes you can make to improve your lifestyle, which can help prevent it from coming back.
Top tips for avoiding VYIs:
- Avoid using deodorants and perfumed products in and around your intimate area
- Avoid stress and maintain a healthy lifestyle, doing so will keep your immune system strong
- Avoid high-sugar foods
- If you are taking antibiotics, consult your doctor before taking yeast infection treatments
- Change your tampons or pads frequently
- Ensure you wipe from front to back after going to the toilet
- Change your underwear after swimming and working out
- Avoid very hot baths
- Avoid tight underwear and clothes such as leggings and skinny jeans
- Avoid synthetic underwear, opt for cotton
Sex and Yeast Infections
Remember – a VYI is not a sexually transmitted infection. However, if you are having sex with the same person (male or female) you can pass the yeast infection backwards and forwards. That’s because men as well as women can get infected too. Talk to your partner to see if they have any symptoms of a yeast infection. Men should see a doctor for treatment of a yeast infection.